Thursday 13 December 2018

Everything and nothing about NFAI

I had marked my calendar for the next weekend to attend ‘A Festival of Films from Israel’ to be hosted by Pune International Centre. Having not much interest in Israeli films (the perception of which changed soon after) what made me look forward to it? The Festival was being held at the NATIONAL FILM ARCHIVE OF INDIA!

TAADD--AAAHHHHHH

Not excited?

(*mockingly) Only movie geeks would get excited to spend their Sundays in a government office filled with movie posters that too when already staying in Pune for a good time now. I would often find myself peeping out of the window staring at the gorgeous building whenever I would pass by it on the Law College Road.

Anyways, so yours truly was that little girl left to explore a candy shop. I was so happy going around the place, taking pictures, looking at the antique movie posters that adorned the shabby walls, peeping into the administrative area and what not. But that excitement was ruthlessly curbed by the watchman who not-so-politely asked me to not click pictures and there I was, sad again.  I managed to sneakily get some pictures though! Less is better than none, right?

This is not the NFAI building, this is the museum that is housed in the NFAI campus. Beautiful, isn't it?





I wish I had a house like this! *drools
Talking about the Film Festival, it was a beautiful bouquet of Israeli films that opened up a new world for me. After kicking myself for missing out on the first 3 days of the festival, I had managed to drag myself to the last day and spent my Sunday in the company of 2 gems.

Israeli Gem 1 - Footnote

Footnote is a one of a kind story of a father-son duos’ tryst with academic rivalry. This movie fucked my mind completely. To be honest, I slept off midway for a while. Ohh, btw, it was Israel’s entry to Academy Award in the foreign language category in 2012. You could read more about the movie in this New York Times article - https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/movies/footnote-israeli-film-by-joseph-cedar.html
And if this intrigues you then please do watch the trailer too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjUwSr0VFo

Israeli Gem 2 - Lemon Tree

Lemon Tree is the story of a courageous widow who lives on the Israel-Palestine border with her farm of lemon trees. Her struggle begins when her new neighbour and defence minister of Israel decides to destroy her age old family farm because of security issues. It is beautifully harrowing to see human lives change and struggle amidst political turmoil. Regret leaving this one midway as I had to catch a bus back. (kicking my ass for this one too! :P)Watch the trailer here! I’m sure you will love it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_j1llK3Fco

And, I brought an end to this trip with some hot and spicy, Idli Sambar - my all-time favourite! Ping me if you wish to share your experiences/opinions about Israeli films or anything in general. See ya! 
All time favourite!


No comments:

Post a Comment